Vision and Goals
The University of Notre Dame’s strategic plan, “A Legacy Expanded,” builds on the University’s five goals as outlined by Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., in his inaugural year (2005) as president and provides focus, transparency, and accountability for Notre Dame’s activities for the next 10 years (2014-2024).
Each goal in “A Legacy Expanded” includes a set of enduring commitments—well-established strategies that have and will continue to guide our actions—as well as enhancement areas that will spur new energy and innovation in the University’s pursuit of that goal and, ultimately, its overarching vision.
Augmenting the University’s strategic plan are the strategic plans of the colleges, schools, and divisions. These individual plans include goals specific to the unit that have been developed to align with and support the University’s five goals.
- Goal I. Catholic Character - Ensure that our Catholic character informs all our endeavors
- Goal II. Undergraduate Education - Offer an unsurpassed undergraduate education that nurtures the formation of mind, body, and spirit
- Goal III. Research and Scholarship - Advance human understanding through scholarship, research, and post-baccalaureate programs that seek to heal, unify, and enlighten
- Goal IV. Stewardship - Foster the University’s mission through superb stewardship of its human, physical, and financial resources
- Goal V. External Engagement - Engage in external collaborations that extend and deepen Notre Dame’s impact
The University's full Strategic Plan can be explored at StrategicPlan.nd.edu