Formation of Worker Participation Standing Committee
Dear Faculty, Staff, and Students,
For the past five years, an ad-hoc committee on worker participation has reviewed the University's guidelines related to the manufacture of licensed Notre Dame products. In May of this year, the committee completed its work and shared their final report with the campus community, both online and in a series of campus open forum meetings. I would like to thank them for their diligent work to develop a set of recommendations, which I have accepted.
While recognizing the important steps that have been accomplished so far, the committee determined that the effort to make lasting improvements to workers’ rights in factories around the world is never truly complete. Among its recommendations, the committee called for the creation of a standing committee to monitor the University's licensing activities and oversee the implementation of various strategic initiatives. I have appointed Executive Vice President John Affleck-Graves to chair the standing committee, which will be referred to as the Committee on Trademark Licensing and Human Rights.
Following consultation with me, Provost Burish and several deans, the standing committee will consist of the following individuals from across the University:
- Georges Enderle, Department of Management, Mendoza College of Business
- Daniel Graff, Department of History, College of Arts and Letters
- Lionel Jensen, Department of Asian Languages & Literature, College of Arts and Letters
- Gerry Powers, Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies, Keough School of Global Affairs
- Eric Sims, Department of Economics, College of Arts and Letters (Faculty Senate nominee)
- Jackie Brebeck, Undergraduate student
- Victoria Erdel, Undergraduate student
- Craig Iffland, Graduate student, Department of Theology
- Hannah O'Brien, Undergraduate student
- Ann Marie Thornburg, Graduate student, Department of Anthropology
- Tim Flanagan, Office of General Counsel
- Tomi Gerhold, Licensing Department
- David Harr, Auxiliary Operations
- Rev. Gerry Olinger, C.S.C., Office of Mission Engagement and Church Affairs
- Cidni Sanders, Office of Public Affairs and Communications
- John Affleck-Graves, Office of the Executive Vice President
- Alex Coccia, ’14 alumnus
- Armani Porter, ’18 alumnus
I am grateful to the many individuals who have worked hard to bring us to this point. As we continue this effort, I invite the campus community to contact John Affleck-Graves or any other members of the committee with any specific issues you would like the committee to discuss.
Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C.