The Search for the Next Executive Vice President
As Tom Burish mentioned in his introduction, John Affleck-Graves will step down in June of 2019, after serving for 15 years as executive vice president of the University. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of John’s contributions to any success the University has enjoyed during his tenure in this role. His extensive portfolio included oversight of the endowment; the University budget; the design, construction, and maintenance of facilities; information technology; human resources; campus safety; food services; auxiliary operations, such as the Morris Inn; and many other areas that provide critical support to Notre Dame’s mission. A superb researcher, an award-winning teacher, a former chair of the Department of Finance, a holder of a named chair, John combined the perspective of a faculty member with his great skill as an administrator. He is a valued colleague and a friend, and I along with many others will miss him.
His are big shoes to fill, but we begin a search to do so. The executive vice president, along with the president and provost, are positions appointed by the University’s Board of Trustees. Jack Brennan, the chairman of our Board, and I agree that it would be most efficient to appoint a search committee of trustees which will make a recommendation to the full Board. Jack has appointed the following trustees to this committee:
- Jack Brennan, chair, Board of Trustees
- James R. Flaherty II, chair, Stewardship Committee
- Stephanie A. Gallo, chair, Compensation Committee
- Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., president
- John W. Jordan II, chair, Investment Committee
- Richard C. Notebaert, trustee and former Board chair
- James E. Rohr, chair, Governance and Nominating Committee
- Byron O. Spruell, chair, Audit Committee
To ensure that the perspective of the faculty is considered in this important search, I have, after consulting with Tom Burish, the deans, and the Faculty Senate, asked the following faculty to assist the search committee:
- Craig Crossland, Rev. Basil Moreau, C.S.C., Associate Professor of Business, Chair of the Department of Management and Organization
- Michael Pries, associate professor, Department of Economics
- Jennifer Tank, Galla Professor of Biological Sciences, Director, Notre Dame Environmental Change Initiative, Department of Biological Sciences
Our goal will be to conduct the search in coming months and bring to the full Board of Trustees a recommendation early in the new year.